Table of Contents
Why insure medical expenses abroad
Being well insured while living or working abroad is important. Sometimes the new country of residence has a good national health care system, but this is certainly not always the case. As an alternative to the national health insurance, an international (expat) insurance is a frequently used replacement, with a number of advantages: international coverage, reimbursements and conditions, often according to Dutch standards, worldwide coverage and flexibility. A number of good and affordable options are listed below.
What can JoHo Insurances do for you?
As the largest broker in the Netherlands of individual international expat, emigration and travel insurance, JoHo Insurances has a lot of in-house knowledge and experience. Based on our specialization in insurance abroad, we offer:
- Advice and mediation with Dutch expat insurers, with benefits in terms of coverage and discounts;
- A selected range of reliable major foreign insurers;
- Free and extensive personal advice;
- Support and assistance during the entire term of the insurance;
- Help and advice in case of problems and disagreements with an insurer.
- We provide support with the termination of one or more insurance policies and with your possible return to the Netherlands.
- Options for coverage of, among others:
- Private clinics and free choice hospital;
- Pregnancy coverage without waiting period;
- Acts of war cover, also in troubled regions;
- All nationalities and destinations;
- No restriction in age of onset;
- Lifelong (no age limit);
Do you need personal advice for your situation? Fill in the online advice form and we will send you our personal advice and an overview of possible insurance and premiums by email.
Local health insurance vs International health insurance
Local health insurance is sometimes possible, for example in connection with work. However, there are often a number of drawbacks to local health insurance through employer or state.
- There is no cover for the outward and return journey, travel outside the country where you are staying, and repatriation (for medical reasons or family circumstances) before and after the work.
- Often limited cover for medical costs, no cover for (follow-up treatment ) costs upon return to your home country. Treatment of long-term illness is not possible in your home country, nor is it possible to give birth there. The transfer of relatives in the event of serious illness is also not covered.
- In addition, the policy conditions might be in a different language, claiming damage is more difficult and when moving to another country, another insurance policy is required.
There are a number of extra points of consideration for employer insurance:
- Health insurance from the employer often only applies to the employee. Any family members are not always co-insured. Ask the employer about this in advance.
- As a rule, health insurance offered by the employer can only be maintained for as long as the employment relationship lasts. If you are fired, the health insurance will also expire. This can be annoying if you are sick at that moment and actually need medical treatment! Realize that the rules regarding dismissal abroad can be much less social than you are used to in for instance the Netherlands.
- Even if you choose to transfer to a (different) foreign employer abroad, problems may arise with regard to your health insurance. You may have developed conditions that could make private health insurance difficult, extra expensive or even impossible at that time. Not every new employer offers a gold-edged insurance package again! The likelihood of clauses and rejection increases the closer you get to the retirement date.
International Health Insurance Options
JoHo Insurances is an international broker for several International Private Medical Insurances. We offer health insurances by Allianz, April, Bupa, Cigna, Globality and Henner. For Dutch nationals we additionally offer a range of international health insurances by OOM and Goudse.
Check out and compare the different insurances as listed below or ask for insurance advice
JoHo Insurances Foundation
JoHo Insurances Foundation is an international insurance broker, helping people and companies worldwide.
We offer International Health, Income & Travel Insurances for expats, emigrants, companies and travellers worldwide.
We offer insurances from Cigna Global, Allianz Worldwide Care, Bupa Global, Henner, Gouda Expatriate, Globality Health and many other insurance companies.
Contact JoHo Insurances for advice.
2512 BP The Hague (Den Haag)
All insurances on this website can be applied for at JoHo Insurances, e-mail to email@example.com or fill in the appropriate application form on this website.
For questions and additional information please contact us.